If you are facing deportation, you need to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer as soon as possible. The longer you wait to deal with the situation, the fewer options you will have. Call a deportation proceedings lawyer in Dutchess County, Ulster County, and Orange County right away.
How To Stop Removal Proceedings
There are many legal grounds for stopping deportation. Some of the most common include:
Lawful U.S. citizens cannot be removed from the country. You may be a citizen if:
- you were born in the U.S., including Puerto Rico
- you were born in another country, but one parent was a U.S. citizen and lived in the U.S. for certain periods of time prior to your birth
- you were born in another country, but one or both of your parents naturalized and became citizens when you were under 18 and living in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident, or
- you were found in the U.S. while under the age of five, and your parents are unknown
Asylum is for someone who has suffered harm or fears harm in his or her country because of race, religion, nationality, actual or suspected political opinion, or membership in a particular group. You must apply for asylum within one year of arrival in the U.S. unless you show changed circumstances or extraordinary circumstances. Asylum is for people who fear harm or persecution, but it is not usually available if you fear prosecution for a crime. However, if the prosecution is to punish you for political activities, religion, nationality, race, or group membership, then you do have an asylum case. Conviction of certain crimes can prevent eligibility for asylum.
Adjustment of Status
Becoming a lawful permanent resident can stop deportation proceedings. An adjustment to your status occurs if you:
- married to a U.S. citizen or
- have a U.S. citizen child 21 years of age or older, or
- have a U.S. citizen parent.
Voluntary departure allows you to leave the U.S. without having a removal on your immigration record. This makes it easier to return legally to the U.S. at a later time.
An Experienced Deportation Proceedings Lawyer for Dutchess County, Ulster County, and Orange County Immigration Cases
Nicklaus Misiti is an experienced immigration lawyer serving clients in Dutchess County, Ulster County, and Orange County, New York. Contact us online or call 845.926.1177 today to learn how we can help.